Pie crust: (if preparing cobbler exclude bottom pie crust)
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (+/- whole wheat flour, as needed)
- 1/2 cup nuts (I used walnuts & cashews, but pecans and/or almonds also work well) FOR LOWFAT REPLACE NUTS w/ BANANA OR APPLESAUCE
- 1 tsp baking powder (aluminum-free)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Blend pitted dates w/ a little water or nut milk to form a date paste. Set aside in a separate container.
- ln clean dry blender blend nuts into a dry paste. Set aside in mixing bowl.
- ln clean dry blender blend rolled oats (+/- whole wheat flour) into dry flour & add to mixing bowl.
- Add baking powder, salt, cinnamon to bowl.
- Add enough date paste to mixing bowl to form a dough. Press by hand into pie pan, or roll between two sheets of baking paper, then place in pie pan.
- Bake 375 degrees for 10 minutes.
- 6 large granny smith apples, peeled, cored and cut into chunks
- Homemade date paste (mix pitted dates + water or nut milk in blender)
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Combine liquid with apples and cook over low heat, stirring frequently as it thickens.
- Remove from heat.
- Use same recipe as pie crust, but perhaps more unprocessed oats to make it crumbly.
- If smooth cobbler topping desired, as in top picture, use more nut milk or add banana or apple sauce to crumb topping.
- Sprinkle atop pie & bake at 375 degrees for approximately 40 minutes.